UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – The University of Richmond women’s tennis team wasn’t intimidated when facing the reigning Atlantic 10 champion VCU.
The Spiders fought hard until the end, but couldn’t come away with a win, falling 5-2 on Tuesday afternoon at the Westhampton Courts.
The Rams started strong, sweeping doubles play to take a 1-0 lead.
Richmond would not go down without a fight, bouncing back in singles play to force a competitive match.
“I was proud of the way we stepped up after the doubles,” head coach Mark Wesselink said. “Kelsey (Williams) and Kiana (Marshall) are both playing some of their best tennis.”
Down 3-0 after VCU took the No. 1 and 2 singles points, senior Kelsey Williams put the Spiders on the board with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Gabi Araujo on court 5.
Freshman Kiana Marshall forced a third and deciding set to take a comeback win on court 4 over Danya Benezhnaya, 3-6, 6-4, 7-5, to make the final score 5-2 in favor of VCU.
“I think we can raise it up even more for A-10s next week,” Wesselink said after the match.
The Spiders have one more regular season match before they head to Orlando for the 2017 Atlantic 10 Tennis Championships. The team will travel to Fairfax on Friday to take on George Mason, with first serve set for 3 p.m.
VCU 5, Richmond 2
1) Janina Braun (VCU) def. Dessislava Zlateva (UR) – 6-2, 7-5
2) Anna Rasmussen (VCU) def. Lea Owens (UR) – 6-2, 6-1
3) Magda Aubets (VCU) def. Gaby Rosales (UR) – 6-2, 7-6 (8)
4) Kiana Marshall (UR) def. Darya Berezhnaya (VCU) – 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
5) Kelsey Williams (UR) def. Gabi Araujo (VCU) – 6-3, 6-2
6) Noumea Witmus (VCU) def. Ana Ramirez (UR) – 6-4, 6-7, 6-0
1) Rasmussen/Braun (VCU) def. Marshall/Lyndell Giffenig (UR) – 6-3
2) Berezhnaya/Aubets (VCU) def. Zlateva/Rosales (UR) – 6-0
3) Araujo/Witmus (VCU) def. Owens/Williams (UR) – 6-3