UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – The University of Richmond women’s tennis team battled Friday evening against a talented Elon team, but ultimately fell to the Phoenix, 4-1, at the Country Club of Virginia.
“Elon played great, and we have a lot of work to do,” head coach Mark Wesselink said after the match. “Fortunately it's still early in the season, and we're very young team.”
The Spiders started strong in doubels play, with the No. 2 team of Kiana Marshall and Lyndell Giffenig taking down Elon’s Suzanne Zenoni and Kirsten Ward, 6-1. The No. 1 pair of Gabby Rosales and Brittany Boys and No. 3 pair of Lea Owens and Dessislava Zlateva battled hard to win the point, but came up short, each falling in a tiebreaker.
Elon took its momentum into singles play, winning in the Nos. 1, 2 and 4 positions to win the match. Senior Brittany Boys was the lone Spider to win her singles match, taking down Alex Koniaev in the six spot, 6-4, 6-3.
The Spiders return to action next week, when they travel to Georgia and South Carolina for Spring Break.
“We should be able to address a lot of our problems on our spring trip in the coming week,” Wesselink added. “I think we will be ready for the regular season to start outdoors when we return.”
Richmond will take on Savannah State on Monday at 2 p.m., before heading to take on Coastal Carolina on Tuesday at 10 a.m.
Elon 4, Richmond 1
1) Erica Braschi (Elon) def. Dessislava Zlateva (Richmond) – 6-1, 7-6 (5)
2) Suzanne Zenoni (Elon) def. Gabby Rosales (Richmond) – 6-3, 6-4
3) Lea Owens (Richmond) vs. Olivia Lucas (Elon) – 6-4, 1-6, 2-3 (DNF)
4) Maria Paraja (Elon) def. Kiana Marshall (Richmond) – 6-4, 6-2
5) Ana Ramirez (Richmond) vs. Kirsten Ward (Elon) – 6-3, 5-7, 2-4 (DNF)
6) Brittany Boys (Richmond) def. Alex Koniaev (Elon) – 6-4, 6-3
1) Paraja/Koniaev (Elon) def. Rosales/Boys (Richmond) – 7-6 (3)
2) Marshall/Giffenig (Richmond) def. Zenoni/Ward (Elon) – 6-1
3) Braschi/Lucas (Elon) def. Owens/Zlateva (Richmond) – 7-6 (0)