RICHMOND, Va. – The University of Richmond women’s tennis team battled hard Monday afternoon in a match that was moved indoors due to adverse weather conditions, but fell to No. 31 Notre Dame, 7-0, at the Raintree Racquet Club.
“We fought well at most of the positions today,” head coach Mark Wesselink said after the match.
Notre Dame then swept singles play, but not without a fight from the Spiders. Owens fought in the No. 3 position, winning the first set 6-0 but falling in the second set and tie breaker, 7-5 (2). Gaby Rosales was tested at No. 2, as she stayed in the match but could not overcome her opponent, dropping a 3-6, 3-6 decision.
“Lea had opportunities, and Gaby battled a tough opponent,” Wesselink said. “Notre Dame is an elite team, and our freshman need to get looks against teams of this caliber. They made us pay for any errors, and that will toughen us up down the stretch.”
The Spiders return to action on Saturday, March 18, when they host Emory at 11 a.m. at the Westhampton Courts.
Notre Dame 7, Richmond 0
1) Monica Robinson (ND) def. Dessislava Zlateva (UR) – 6-2, 6-2
2) Brooke Broda (ND) def. Gaby Rosales (UR) – 6-3, 6-3
3) Allison Miller (ND) def. Lea Owens (UR) – 0-6, 7-5 (2)
4) Zoe Spence (ND) def. Kiana Marshall (UR) – 6-1, 6-1
5) Mary Closs (ND) def. Brittany Boys (UR) – 6-2, 6-3
6) Jane Fennelly (ND) def. Kelsey Williams (UR) – 6-1, 6-1
1) Closs/Robinson (ND) def. Boys/Rosales (UR) – 6-3
2) Broda/Miller (ND) def. Giffenig/Marshall (UR) – 6-1
3) Zlateva/Owens (UR) vs. Fennelly/Spence (ND) – DNF