UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – Winning 19 straight matches is quite a feat in itself. Doing it with depth and balance is a completely different feat.
That’s exactly what the University of Richmond men’s tennis team has done and that was on display on Sunday with four different Spiders winning two matches each to lead a sweep of in-state foes Hampton (6-1) and Christopher Newport (7-0) to improve to 20-2 on the season.
It’s the first time in program history that the Spiders have won 20 matches.
“We were able to play some different guys and give them the opportunity to step up and that’s exactly what they did,” Head Coach Ben Johnson said. “Our guys have really bonded together and really pushed each other all year long and today was evidence of that.”
Senior Canyon Teague was perfect on the day, winning two straight set singles matches, while sophomore Brice Polender and freshmen Matthew Fernandez and Klein Evans all went a perfect 2-0 in singles matches on the day.
Jonathan Quenard, Jacob Dunbar and James Aronson each notched one singles victory for the Spiders.
Richmond won both doubles point to make it 21 of 22 matches this spring with the doubles point in the Spiders’ favor.
The Spiders return to action with a critical Atlantic 10 showdown on Saturday, April 8th in the nation’s capital against George Washington. First serve is set for 1 p.m.
Richmond 6, Hampton 1
1. Juan Araoz (HU) def. John Karlawish (UR), 7-5, 5-7, 10-7
2. James Aronson (UR) def. Matthew Foster-Estwick (HU), 6-3, 6-3
3. Canyon Teague (UR) def. Fedor Shirin (HU), 6-2, 6-1
4. Matthew Fernandez (UR) def. Charles Hudson (HU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Brice Polender (UR) def. Luke Thompson (HU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Klein Evans (UR) def. Basil Post (HU), 6-1, 6-0
1. Araoz/Foster-Estwick (HU) def. Quenard/Troy (UR), 6-3
2. Aronson/Karlawish (UR) def. Hudson/Shirin (HU), 6-3
3. Teague/Fernandez (UR) def. Odegbami/Thompson (HU), 6-2
Richmond 7, Christopher Newport 0
1. Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. David Reed (CNU), 6-1, 6-2
2. Canyon Teague (UR) def. Justin Cerny (CNU), 6-1, 7-6 (3)
3. Matthew Fernandez (UR) def. Andy Mason (CNU), 7-5, 7-5
4. Jonathan Quenard (UR) def. Dominic Lacombe (CNU), 6-1, 7-5
5. Brice Polender (UR) def. William Trang (CNU), 6-3, 6-2
6. Klein Evans (UR) def. Nicholas Ruzicka (CNU), 6-0, 7-5
1. Quenard/Troy (UR) vs. Reed/Cerny (CNU) DNF
2. Aronson/Karlawish (UR) def. Trang/Mason (CNU), 6-2
3. Polender/Evans (UR) def. Lacombe/Dodd (CNU), 6-1