WASHINGTON, D.C. – Entering the 2017 season, George Washington University has won five of the past six Atlantic 10 championships in men’s tennis.
After Saturday’s showdown in Foggy Bottom, there may be a new sheriff in town ready to take on the A-10’s best competition.
Heart, grit and determination were all on display as the University of Richmond men’s tennis team won its 20th consecutive match, a 4-3 defeat of GW, to improve to 21-2 on the season.
“Honestly, I’m a little speechless right now. It’s tough to put into words how proud I am of these group of guys,” Head Coach Ben Johnson said. “From the start of this year, these guys have been determined and focused. Today was the culmination of all that hard work. It was a tremendous win.”
For the 22nd time this spring, Richmond got things started in doubles, winning the doubles point by taking victories at the #1 and #3 spots in the lineup to take a 1-0 lead.
Junior James Aronson continued his strong spring, breezing to a 6-4, 6-2 win at #6 singles, followed closely behind by Atlantic 10 Player of the Year candidate Jacob Dunbar, who won 6-4, 6-2 at the top spot to make it 3-0 in favor of the Spiders.
GW wouldn’t go away easily, taking the next two points, but senior Alexandre Felisa gutted out a thrilling three set win at #2 singles, 6-0, 2-6, 6-3 to secure the victory for Richmond.
The Spiders are back in action tomorrow afternoon when they host the Dukes of Duquesne in the final Atlantic 10 matchup of the regular season. First serve at Westhampton Courts is set for 1 p.m.
Richmond 4, George Washington 3
1. Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Julius Tverijonas (GW), 6-4, 6-2
2. Alexandre Felisa (UR) def. Chris Fletcher (UR), 6-0, 2-6, 6-3
3. Chris Reynolds (GW) def. Caleb Troy (UR), 7-5, 7-5
4. Christos Hadjigeorgiou (GW) def. John Karlawish (UR), 6-3, 7-6 (3)
5. Dennis Afanasev (GW) def. Canyon Teague (UR), 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
6. James Aronson (UR) def. Fernando Sala (GW), 6-4, 6-2
1. Dunbar/Felisa (UR) def. Tverijonas/Fletcher (GW), 6-2
2. Quenard/Troy (UR) vs. Behun/Hadjigeorgiou (GW), 5-5 DNF
3. Karlawish/Aronson (UR) def. Reynolds/Sala (GW), 6-1