UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – With the Atlantic 10 Tournament just a few weeks away, the University of Richmond men’s tennis team doesn’t seem interested in taking its foot off the gas.
After a hard-fought, emotional win against reigning A-10 champion George Washington on Saturday, the Spiders returned to the court on Sunday and powered their way to a 7-0 sweep of Duquesne to finish the spring season perfect against Atlantic 10 opponents.
With their perfect spring against conference opponents, the Spiders will be the number one seed heading into the A-10 Tournament later this month.
“After an emotional win yesterday, it’s not always easy to bring the energy on a quick turnaround, but this group continues to stay incredibly focused and determined,” Head Coach Ben Johnson said. “We’ve played a lot of tennis recently and our guys continue to show up to the courts every time ready to do whatever it takes to win.”
As they have all spring long, Richmond took momentum quickly, taking the doubles point with wins at the #2 and #3 spots.
Senior Canyon Teague kept things going in singles with a 6-1, 6-1 win at #5, followed by classmate Jacob Dunbar, who won 6-0, 6-1 at the top spot in the lineup.
For the second straight day, Alexandre Felisa provided the clinching point, with John Karlawish, Caleb Troy and James Aronson completing straight set victories of their own to round out the sweep of the Dukes.
Richmond returns to the court one more time at home, hosting in-state rival JMU on Tuesday at Westhampton Courts. First serve is set for 3 p.m.
Richmond 7, Duquesne 0
1. Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Dimitris Stavropoulos (DUQ), 6-0, 6-1
2. Alexandre Felisa (UR) def. Adam Blasinsky (DUQ), 6-1, 6-2
3. Caleb Troy (UR) def. Tim Kane (DUQ), 7-5, 6-0
4. John Karlawish (UR) def. Drew Akins (DUQ), 6-1, 6-2
5. Canyon Teague (UR) def. Jared Isaacs (DUQ), 6-1, 6-1
6. James Aronson (UR) def. Chris Corrao (DUQ), 6-4, 6-4
1. Dunbar/Felisa (UR) vs. Blasinsky/Corrao (DUQ), 5-2 DNF
2. Troy/Quenard (UR) def. Kane/Isaacs (DUQ), 6-3
3. Karlawish/Aronson (UR) def. Ong/Bendel (DUQ), 6-3