UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. - The University of Richmond Spiders football team held its first scrimmage of the fall on Saturday morning at Robins Stadium. In the nearly hour-long scrimmage, the defense held the upper hand over the offense. The Spiders will have Sunday off before returning to practice on Monday morning at Robins Stadium.
- Senior QB John Laub made a nice play, keeping the ball on a designed QB sneak for a 12-yard touchdown run.
- Working with the first-team offense, Laub notched another touchdown on a quick pass to WR Ben Edwards. On the quick screen, Edwards made a man miss and dove across the goal line for a 15-yard score.
- Laub's best throw of the scrimmage came late, when under pressure the senior QB connected with FB Seth Fisher for a three-yard touchdown. Laub's throw was a thing of beauty, floating the ball just over the defender to Fisher in stride.
- Speaking of running backs, freshman Jacobi Green had the biggest run of the day, a 28-yard scamper down the right sideline. FB Kendall Gaskins also had a pair of nice runs, including a 18-yard gainer up the middle for a first down.
- Strong all morning, all three defensive units played well in the scrimmage. The offense was never able to get a rhythm and the defense generally had constant pressure on the Richmond quarterbacks.
- The defense got a jolt early, as LB Taylor Grant registered a safety with the offense backed up.
- With the third-team offense and defense on the field, freshman David Herlocker made a great play on the ball, taking an interception back nearly 60 yards for a defensive score.
- Also tallying an interception during the scrimmage was redshirt senior DB Doug Howell, who made a great break on a Strauss pass to get the pick.