"The freshmen were tested under fire today," said head coach Mark Wesselink. "I am so impressed with their mental toughness under pressure.
The Spider's started the day behind in the points after losing the double's point. Gitman and Elizabeth Sims earned the Spiders only double victory with an 8-6 win at the No. 3 position.
In singles play, Temple won the first two matches at the No. 3 and No. 2 position, giving the Owls a 3-0 advantage over the Spiders.
Captain Alexandra Smyth put the Spiders on the board with a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Minami Okajima. Salas took opponent Maame Ama Osei to three sets, defeating Osei 2-6, 6-3, 10-8 in a tight matchup at the No. 4 position.
A-10 Performer of the Week, Melissa Kandinata, dueled with Yana Mavrina at the No. 1 position. Kandinata won the first set 6-4 and then took the second set 7-5.
After Kandinata's finish the match was tied up 3-3 with the final point coming down to Gitman's match against Jordan Batey. Batey took the first set 3-6 but Gitman bounced back in the second set winning 7-6. The final set was a test of endurance and will power for the freshman as she battled five match points, resulting in a 13-11 win and a Spider victory.
Richmond will be back in action against St. Joseph's for the second of three matches this weekend.
Richmond 4, Temple 3
1. Batey/Doms (T) def. Abadias-Morales/Salas (R), 8-6
2. Breland/Mavrina (T) def. Smyth/Kandinata (R), 8-6
3. Gitman/Sims (R) def. Okajima/Osei (R), 8-6
Order of finish: 1,2,3
1. Melissa Kandinata (R) def. Yana Mavrina (T), 6-4, 7-5
2. Alicia Doms (T) def. Anna Abadias Morales (R), 6-4, 6-1
3. Rebecca Breland (T) def. Elizabeth Sims (R), 6-6 (9-8) ret.
4. Katya Salas (R) def. Maame Ama Osei (T), 2-6, 6-3, 10-8
5. Emily Gitman (R) def. Jordan Batey (T), 3-6, 7-6 (3), 13-11
6. Alexandra Smyth (R) def. Minami Okajima (T), 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 3,2,6,4,1,5
Exhibition match: Carly Bohman (T) def. Georgina Pons Cano (R), 8-3