The Women's Tennis team ends their weekend 2-0. After downing Davidson College, 4-2 on Friday, the Spiders defeated UNC-Greensboro, 4-3, on Saturday.
The Spiders dropped the doubles point as well as the first two singles points which set them behind 0-3. However, the Spiders held the Spartans and rallied in order to win the next four matches and earn the victory.
Alexandra Smyth (Stamford, Conn./King School) secured the Spider's first point with a victory over UNCG's Stephani Falcon, 6-4, 6-3. Elizabeth Sims (Roswell, Ga./Blessed Trinity) rallied to earn the next point, defeating her opponent 6-2, 7-6. "Alex Smyth and Elizabeth Sims are so tough at their positions," says Coach Mark Wesselink. "They put a lot of pressure on our opponents. They were both stellar again this weekend, racking up 4 more wins between them."
Freshman Nil Horoz (Istanbul, Turkey/ Saddlebrook Prep) tied the score with a 7-6, 6-4 victory.
Wesselink says, "I was happy for Nil Horoz who won an important match today. She has been fighting through injuries and played through some pain to get it done for us today."
The winning point was clinched by Melissa Kandinata (Cary, N.C./ Green Hope) who was 1-1 in singles play for the day when she extinguished her opponent, 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (4).
"I was proud of the team for finding a way to win two tough, close matches," remarks Wesselink. "We were down 3-0 to UNCG and pulled out 4 straight wins with Melissa Kandinata clinching in a 3rd set tiebreak."
The Spiders will resume play against Maryland in College Park, Maryland on March 1.
Richmond 4, UNCG 3
1. Wilkins/Dougherty (UNCG) def. Smyth/Cunningham (RICH) 8-3
2. Sutherland/Whitehead (UNCG) def. Kandinata/Sims (RICH) 8-5
3. Matuszczyk/ Horoz (RICH) def. Rios/Gammie (UNCG) 8-6
1. Niltooli Wilkins (UNCG) def. Joanna Matuszczyk (RICH) 6-3, 6-2
2. Melissa Kandinata (RICH) def. Alex Whitehead (UNCG) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6 (4)
3. Annette Rios (UNCG) def. Helen Cunningham (RICH) 6-1, 6-4
4. Elizabeth Sims (RICH) def. Lucy Dougherty (UNCG) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
5. Alexandra Smyth (RICH) def. Stephanie Falcon (UNCG) 6-4, 6-3
6. Nil Horoz (RICH) def. Devon Sutherland (UNCG) 7-6(3), 6-4
Order of finish: 3,1,5,4,6,2