Charlottesville, Va. - The Spiders downed No. 6 George Washington with a 4-1 win on the second day of Atlantic 10 Championships at the Boar's Head Sports Club.
The Spiders defeated the Colonials 5-2, in regular season play on March 15, 2012.
Richmond dropped the doubles point even after Melissa Kandinata and Elizabeth Sims downed Isabella Escobar and Leah Pascarella, 8-2.
"George Washington grabbed the momentum with the doubles point," says Head Coach Mark Wesselink. "I think they knocked us off balance but we did a nice job of refocusing and played some of our best singles of the year."
Junior Alexandra Smyth secured the first point for the Spiders at No. 5 singles with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Isabella Escobar. Sophomore Elizabeth Sims continued the rally for the Spiders by downing Mimi Hamlin, 6-4, 6-3. Freshman Melissa Kandinata tallied another point for Richmond by earning a convincing win over Julia Blakeley, 6-1, 6-2. Senior Joanna Matuszczyk grabbed the final point for the Spiders with a 6-1, 6-2 win over Jacqui Corba in the No. 1 position.
Wesselink comments, "Elizabeth Sims and Melissa Kandinata were especially impressive, winning their doubles match and then both clinching their singles match. Alex Smyth played some dominating singles and Joanna Matuszczyk sealed the win with a great pressure match at No. 1. I was proud of the team for responding with some clutch, quality singles after giving up a hard-fought doubles point to GW."
The No. 3 seeded Spiders will play No. 2 Charlotte on Saturday at 1 pm in the semifinals.
Live scoring, along with results, recaps, and photos of the 2012 Atlantic 10 Women's Tennis Championship will be available via the league's official website Atlantic 10.com.
No. 3 Richmond 4, No. 6 George Washington 1
1. Hamling/Krohn (GW) def. Cunningham/Smyth (UR), 9-7
2. Kandinata/Sims (UR) def. Escobar/Pascarella (GW), 8-2
3. Tyner/Corba (GW) def. Horoz/Matuszczyk (UR), 9-7
Order of finish 2, 1, 3
1. Joanna Matuszczyk (UR) def. Jacqui Corba (GW), 6-1, 6-3
2. Helen Cunningham (UR) vs. Leah Pascarella (GW), 6-3, 2-6, 1-2 DNF
3. Melissa Kandinata (UR) def. Julia Blakeley (GW), 6-1, 6-2
4. Elizabeth Sims (UR) def. Mimi Hamlin (GW), 6-4, 6-3
5. Alexandra Smyth (UR) def. Isabella Escobar (GW), 6-2, 6-0
6. Nil Horoz (UR) vs. Meg Tyner (GW), 1-6, 7-5 DNF
Order of finish: 5,4,3,1