Charlottesville, Va. - After five hours of play, Richmond grabbed its fourth-straight Atlantic 10 Championship Title with a 4-3 win over the University of Massachusetts Sunday at the Boar's Head Sports Club.
Richmond won its fourth-straight title and conference-record ninth crown in the last ten years. The Spiders will be making their eleventh NCAA appearance, and eighth in the last nine years, in the NCAA Women's Tennis Championships.
For the third consecutive day, the Spiders dropped the doubles point but rallied to win the match. Melissa Kandinata and Elizabeth Sims took an early lead at No. 2 doubles; however the Minutewomen quickly rallied to close the 4-1 gap. Kandinata and Sims stayed focused to overcome Sonia Bokhari and Chanel Glasper with a 9-7 victory and the Spiders' lone doubles win.
In singles action, senior Joanna Matuszczyk tied the match in straight sets 6-1, 6-0. Freshman Melissa Kandinata dominated her opponent, defeating Julia Comas, 6-0, 6-1. In No. 5 singles, junior Alexandra Smyth exhausted her opponent in straight sets 6-2, 6-4. The Minutewomen rallied back to win at No. 2 and No. 6 singles to tie the match.
The championship match came down to the third set at No. 4 singles. Sophomore Elizabeth Sims clinched the win against Jessica Podlofsky, 3-6, 7-6(6), 7-5.
Richmond has a conference-record eight Atlantic 10 crowns (2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012) and has made ten NCAA appearances, including seven in the last eight seasons.
Richmond ended its regular season 10-4 overall and 3-1 in A-10 play. The Spiders were tabbed as this season's favorite to capture the league title as voted on by conference coaches in a preseason poll.
Richmond will play in the NCAA regional's next month.
Richmond 4, Massachusetts 3
1. Motyl/Swiszccz (UM) def. Smyth/Cunningham (UR) 8-3
2. Sims/ Kandinata (UR) def. Bokhari/Glasper (UM) 9-7
3. Onaga/Podlofsky (UM) def. Horoz/Matuszczyk (UR) 8-6
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Joanna Matuszczyk (UR) def. Yuliana Motyl 6-1, 6-0
2. Sonia Bokhari (UM) def. Helen Cunningham (UR) 7-5, 6-1
3. Melissa Kandinata (UR) def. Julia Comas (UM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Elizabeth Sims (UR) def. Jessica Podlofsky (UM) 3-6, 7-6, (6), 7-5
5. Alexandra Smyth (UR) def. Hazuki Onaga (UM) 6-2, 6-4
6. Chanel Glasper (UM) def. Nil Horoz (UR) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5, 2, 6, 4