UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. - The University of Richmond Spiders men's basketball team will travel to Norfolk to face in-state rival Old Dominion on Tuesday night at the Ted Constant Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.
The Spiders (6-2), winners of two-straight, enter the contest coming off a hard-fought victory over Wake Forest on Saturday at the Robins Center. Junior Derrick Williams posted his second-straight double-double, scoring a career-high 26 points while grabbing 10 rebounds to help lead the Spiders to the victory.
The Old Dominion Monarchs (1-6) come into Tuesday's game having lost five-straight games. This past Saturday, the Monarchs dropped their CAA conference opener at William & Mary, 71-62, in Williamsburg. Sophomore Dimitri Batten leads a balanced Monarch scoring attack at 10.4 points a game.
NBC Sports Network
Tuesday night's game between the Spiders and the Monarchs will be nationally televised on the NBC Sports Network. To find the NBC Sports Network in your area, click HERE.
In Richmond, the NBC Sports Network can be found on the following
Comcast - 2, 226, 848
DirecTV - 220
Dish Network - 159. 9466
Verizon Fios - 90, 590
- Richmond hits the road for the third time this season when it travels to Norfolk to face in-state rival Old Dominion on Tuesday night. The Spiders, winners of two-straight entering the contest, will be looking for their first win in Norfolk since the 2000-2001 season.
- Junior Derrick Williams is playing some of the best basketball of his career, having posted back-to-back double-doubles entering Tuesday's contest. Williams' latest double-double was his most impressive, scoring a career-high 26 points to go with 10 rebounds against Wake. The Harlem, N.Y. native now has eight double-doubles in his career for the Spiders.
- Sophomore Kendall Anthony, the 2012 Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year, is tied for the team lead at 14.6 points per game and already has 533 career points just eight games into his second season. Anthony, who scored the third most points of a Spider freshman in school history (416), had a career-high 24 points in the win over Wofford last week.
- The Spiders are averaging 8.9 steals per game, forcing 16.5 turnovers per game and scoring 19.8 points per game off turnovers.
- Darien Brothers has connected on four three-pointers in two of the last three games, connecting on 9-of-15 treys in the last three contests. He now has 139 career 3-pointers, nine shy of cracking Richmond's all-time career top-10 list.
- Richmond comes in to Tuesday's game at Old Dominion fresh off a 62-60 win over the Wake Forest Demon Deacons on Saturday night. The victory was the third-straight for the Spiders over their ACC rivals.
- With the win over Wake, the Spiders improved to 12-7 in their last 19 games against BCS conference teams and Chris Mooney has 17 wins over BCS conference teams in 9 years as a D-I head coach, including 15 in 8 seasons at Richmond. The Spiders have defeated a team from all 6 BCS conferences in Mooney's tenure, including multiple wins against the Big East (5), ACC (4) and SEC (3).
Bleacher Report rated Richmond's non-conference schedule the 10th toughest in the nation...this year's senior class needs 11 wins to tie the 2011 and 2012 classes as the winningest in Richmond basketball history...the Spiders won their opener over Liberty by 42 points and the second game against UNCW by 43 points, matching the 1955-56 team for the largest margin of victory (42.5) through 2 games in 100 seasons of Richmond basketball...Darien Brothers ranked 15th in the nation in free throw pct. last season at 89.1 percent...Richmond is 84-40 (.675) in its last 124 games.