WILLIAMSBURG, Va.- The Richmond women's tennis team fell to the William and Mary 6-1 on Tuesday.
"I wasn't happy with the result but I like the way we competed," said head coach Mark Wesselink. "We are young and talented. This group will get a lot stronger throughout the season."
The match against William and Mary was Smyth's first match of the season due to recovering from an injury in the fall.
Freshman Katya Salas won the Spider's only point with victory over Hope Johnson. Salas won the first set 6-4 and lost the second 3-6 but was able to pull out a 10-7 win in the third set super tiebreaker. Her win advances her singles record to 6-2 for the year.
"The freshmen played through some first match nerves and fought hard," said Wesselink.
The Spiders will be back on the courts on January 25 at Elon.
1. No. 3 Belaya/Loomas (WM) def. Kandinata/Smyth (UR) 8-0
2. Cepeda/Nemchinov (WM) def. Sims/Salas (UR) 8-2
3. Johnson/Smith (WM) ret Gitman/ Abadias (UR) 4-4
1. Belaya( WM) def. Kandinata (UR), 6-3, 6-4
2. Loomans (WM) def. Abadias (UR) 6-2, 6-3
3. Nemchinov (WM) def. Gitman (UR) 7-6, 6-3
4. Cepeda (WM) def. Sims (UR) 6-2, 6-2
5. Salas (UR) def. Johnson (UR) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (10-7)
6. Smith (WM) def. Smyth (UR) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish
Singles: 4, 2, 6*, 1,5, 3