COLLEGE PARK, Md.- The women's tennis team won the doubles point against Maryland but fell 6-1 to the Terrapins on Sunday.
The Spiders started the match winning the doubles point after Elizabeth Sims and Anna Abadias defeated the Bredikhina sisters in a tight 9-8 match at the number two position. Emily Gitman and Mariana Arana paired up for the first time this year at the number three position where they defeated Gabriela Srodwoski and Olga Gaistruk 9-7 to secure the doubles point.
"Winning the doubles point was big for us," said head coach Mark Wesselink. "We are making some real progress in positioning and shot selection."
The Spider's were blanked in singles play despite putting up a fight. Melissa Kandinata fell to Vroni Van Berlo 7-6, 6-4 in a back and fourth battle at the No. 1 position.
At the No. 2 position Abadias dueled with Sarah Gealer but fell 6-3, 7-5.
"I liked the improvement in singles too even though the results weren't there," said Wesselink. "Melissa looked especially strong at #1 losing a very close match."
The Spiders are 3-7 in spring play. The squad heads to Blacksburg next Sunday to face their third ACC opponent this season.
1. Van Berlo/ Gealer def Kandinata/Salas 8-4
2. Sims/ Abadias def. Bredikhina/Bredikhina 9-8 (5)
3. Gitman/Arana def. Srodowski/Faistruk 9-7
1. Van Berlo def. Kandinata 7-6, 6-4
2. Gealer def. Abadias 6-3, 7-5
3. O. Bredikhina def. Salas 6-2, 6-2
4. Gaistruk def. Sims 6-7, 6-0
5. N. Bredikhina def. Gitman 6-2, 6-3
6. Srodwski def. Arana 6-2, 6-4