BLACKSBURG, Va.- The Spider women's tennis team was blanked 7-0 by No. 68 Virginia Tech on Sunday.
Virginia Tech is the third ACC opponent the Spiders have played during spring action.
The Spiders (3-8) started off the day battling for the doubles point as Melissa Kandinata and Katya Salas fell 8-5 in a tough fought match at the no. 1 position. Mariana Arana and Ripley Hartmeyer fell 8-3 at the No. 3 position, while Alex Smyth and Anna Abadias retired their back and fourth match at 6-6.
Virginia Tech's Tea Ivanovic won the no. 6 position over Georgina Pons Cano 6-1, 6-0, while Carol Kahoun defeated Mariana Arana 6-1, 6-0 at the no. 5 position. From there the Hokies continued to post wins across the positions.
Richmond's closest match came at the helm of Salas. Salas fought a tough battle against Kelly Williford but fell to Williford 4-6 in the first set and came just short 5-7 in the second set.
Richmond is back in action when the squad travels to Florida for two matches. The Spiders will face Boston University on March 11 in Orlando then travel west to face South Alabama in Tampa on March 15.
Virginia Tech 7 Richmond 0
1. Mita/Williford def. Kandinata/Salas 8-5
2. Lauten/Stocia ret. Smyth/Abadias 6-6 (ret)
3. Ivanovic/ Kahoun def. Arana/Hartmeyer 8-3
1.Illinca Stoica def. Melissa Kandinata 6-0, 6-3
2. Isel Martinez-Marcos def. Anna Abadias 6-0, 6-0
3. Kelly Williford def. Katya Salas 6-4, 7-5
4. Raluca Mita def .Elizabeth Sims 6-2, 6-2
5. Carol Kahoun def. Mariana Arana 6-1, 6-0
6. Tea Ivanovic def. Georgina Pons Cano 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish
Singles: 5, 6, 1,4, 2, 1