UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va.- The men’s tennis team fell to No. 49 ranked George Washington 5-2 on Saturday.
“I thought we competed well in singles but George Washington is a tough team,” said head coach Ben Johnson.
The Colonials swept the doubles point to jump out to a 1-0 lead.
In singles, seniors Jesse Feder and Sebastien Fauchet earned the two Richmond points. Feder earned a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Francisco Dias at the No. 2 slot. Fauchet closed out the match in a 7-5, 6-4 thriller at the No. 4 position to give the Spiders their second point of the day.
The Spiders are now 8-9 on the season and 3-4 in conference action.
“I am confident in the next few weeks we will make the adjustments we need to win.” said Feder.
The squad is back in action against Longwood on Tuesday in Farmville.
George Washington 5, Richmond 2
1. van Gils/ Thomsen def. Fauchet/Feder 8-2
2. Zelenkov/Fomin def. Dunbar/Nahon 8-5
3. Dias/Lapentti def. Baker/Trent 8-4
1. Nikita Fomin def. Ethan Dunabr 7-6, 6-2
2. Jesse Feder def .Fanscisco Dias 6-2, 6-4
3. Danil Zelenkov def. Paul Nahon 6-4, 6-4
4. Sebastien Fauchet def. Alexander van Gis 7-5, 6-4
5. Ulrik Thomsen def. Dylan Trent 6-0, 6-2
6. Viktor Svensson def. Justin Baker 6-0, 6-2