HARRISONBURG, Va.- The Richmond women’s tennis team lost a hard fought match in snow flurries to in-state competitor James Madison on Thursday in Harrisonburg.
"This was an amazing match that was played iin snow flurries," said head coach Mark Wesselink. " I couldn't ask for better fight from our team. JMU played some amazing clutch tennis."
In doubles action the Dukes won the first two matches to secure the point at the No. 1 and No. 2 slot. Emily Gitman and Anna Abadias secured a 7-6 win at the No. 3 position. The win extends the duos win streak to three straight victories and a 5-3 record in spring action.
The Spiders bounced back from the doubles loss to take a 2-1 lead with a 6-4, 6-4 win from Melissa Kandinata at the No. 1 position and a tight 7-6, 6-4 win from Alex Smyth at the No. 6 position.
"Kandinata and Smyth both showed their experience and mental toughness in winning their pressure singles," said Wesselink.
The Dukes went on to win the next three points but not without a fight from the Spiders. Elizabeth Sims, Katya Salas, and Emily Gitman each took their opponents to three sets but fell just short of winning their point.
"As they continue to mature this group is going to win a lot of matches," said Wesselink.
The Spiders who are now 5-11 on the season and undefeated in conference play will return home to face East Carolina on Thursday, April 4. SpiderTV is scheduled to live stream the match.
JMU 4, Richmond 2
1. Taylor Pinchoff/Michelle Nguyen (JMU) def. Melissa Kandinata/Katya Salas (UR) 8-6
2. Cara Wirth/Katherine Bulling (JMU) def. Elizabeth Sims/Alexandra Smyth (UR) 8-3
3. Anna Abadias Morales/Emily Gitman (UR) def. Megan Douglass/Ruxandra Andriescu (JMU) 7-6
1. Melissa Kandinata (UR) def. Taylor Pinchoff (JMU) 6-4, 6-4
2.Jacqueline Palmucci (JMU) def. Elizabeth Sims (UR) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
3. Anna Abadias Morales (UR) vs. Ruxandra Andriescu (JMU) no result
4. Katherine Bulling (JMU) def. Katya Salas (UR) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Cara Wirth (JMU) def. Emily Gitman (UR) 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
6. Alexandra Smyth (UR) def. Megan Douglass (JMU) 7-6, 6-4
James Madison University 7-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,6,4,2,5)