ANNAPOLIS, Md.- Ethan Dunbar battled to three sets to win the match point during a Spider rally, giving Richmond a 4-3 victory over Navy on Saturday in Annapolis.
"The match was a very hard fought match and it was definitely a confidence booster to be able to fight through as a team and win a close match like that against a good team," said Ethan Dunbar. "I think that will really help us going forward into our next matches and conference."
The Spiders started the day dropping all three doubles decisions, giving the Midshipmen a 1-0 advantage.
Navy extended the lead to 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Paul Nahon at the No. 3 position.
Dylan Trent started the Spider come back with a 6-2, 6-3 win at the No.4 slot. Justin Baker and Sebastien Fauchet won at the No. 6 and No. 4 position to propel the Spiders to a 3-2 advantage over the Mids.
Navy responded with a 7-6, 6-4 win over senior Jesse Feder at the No. 2 position to tie the match 3-3.
The match point came down to Ethan Dunbar at the No. 1 slot. Navy’s Calvin Mark blanked Dunbar 6-0 in the first set. Dunbar bounced back to take the second set 6-3. The third set was a back and fourth duel between the two, but Dunbar pulled out a 7-5 win to win his point and the match for the Spiders.
The Spiders are now 9-9 on the season.
Richmond will be back in action at home on Wednesday when they face George Mason. The match is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. and will be streamed live on SpiderTV.
RICHMOND 4, NAVY 3
Doubles Results (Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3)
1) Mark / McDonald (Navy) d. Fauchet / Feder, 8-3
2) Daniel / Gutsche (Navy) d. Dunbar / Nahon, 8-4
3) Gaines / Sisk (Navy) d. Baker / Trent, 8-7 (9)
Singles Results (Order of Finish: 3, 5, 6, 4, 2, 1)
1) Ethan Dunbar (UR) d. Calvin Mark, 0-6, 6-3, 7-5
2) Peter McDonald (Navy) d. Jesse Feder, 7-6 (4), 6-4
3) Blake Daniel (Navy) d. Paul Nahon, 6-2, 6-1
4) Sebastien Fauchet (UR) d. Nicholas Gutsche, 7-5, 6-4
5) Dylan Trent (UR) d. Alex Gaines, 6-2, 6-3
6) Justin Baker (UR) d. Alex Sisk, 6-4, 6-3