UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va.- The Spider men’s tennis team swept singles play to pick up 5-1 win over the George Mason Patriots on Wednesday.
For the second time in spring action, Sebastien Fauchet and Ethan Dunbar paired up at the No. 1 position. The two quickly defeated their opponent 8-2 to kick off the match. The Patriots bounced back to secure the point with wins at the No.2 and No.3 positions.
“We didn’t have the greatest doubles, but in singles we played great,” said head coach Ben Johnson. “We have had some great singles matches this season.”
Dylan Trent evened the score, definitively winning the first singles match 6-4, 6-1 at the no. 5 position. Dunbar put together a dominant performance at the No. 1 position with a 6-1, 6-2 victory to earn his second consecutive win.
Sebastien Fauchet put up his fifth consecutive win after a 6-4, 6-1 on the No. 4 court. The win gave the Spiders a 3-1 advantage over the Patriots.
Jesse Feder secured the match point for Richmond in a come from behind 3-6, 6-1, 6-2 victory at the No. 2 position
“Jesse’s match was an amazing come back and a difficult match to win”, said Dunbar.
Justin Baker closed out the day defeating his opponent 6-4, 2-6, 6-4.
Richmond is now 10-9 on the season.
The Spiders will face A-10 challenger, Charlotte, on Saturday at noon at the Westhampton Tennis Courts.
1. Fauchet/Dunbar (UR) def. Baine/Sargent (GMU) 8-2
2. Keaton/Davis (GMU) def. Feder/Nahon (UR) 8-6
3. Dyke/Borden (GMU) def. Baker/Trent 8-6
1. Dunbar (UR) def. Dyke (GMU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Feder (UR) def. Davis (GMU)3-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Nahon (UR) v. T. Baine (GMU) 4-6, 7-6, 3-0 DNF
4. Fauchet (UR) def Keaton (GMU) 6-1, 6-4
5. Trent (UR) def Sargent (GMU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Baker (UR) v. Capitel (GMU)6-4, 2-6, 6-4