MASON, Ohio- The Richmond Spider men’s tennis team picked up a 4-2 win over Fordham in the opening round of the A-10 tournament.
The No. 7 seeded Spiders dropped the doubles point to the No. 10 ranked Rams but came back in singles.
The Spiders took a commanding lead 3-1 lead in singles. Justin Baker picks up the first Spider point at the No. 6 position with a 6-2, 6-3 win. Ethan Dunbar won at the No. 1 position with a 6-3, 6-5 victory. With the win Dunbar has won six of his last seven singles matches.
Jesse Feder won 6-4, 6-2 at the No. 2 position to secure the Spiders third point.
The Rams tried to make a come back with a three set win at the No. 3 position, but Dylan Trent secured the match with a 6-4, 6-4 victory at the No. 5 position.
The Spiders will play No. 2 George Washington at 1:00 p.m. on Friday. The squad will seek to avenge their 5-2 loss from earlier this season.
1. Ethan Dunbar (UR) d. Srikar Alla (FOR) 6-3, 6-5
2. Jesse Feder (UR) d. Kuba Kowalski (FOR) 6-4, 6-2
3. Matty Najfeld (FOR) d. Paul Nahon III (UR) 6-0, 3-6, 6-2
4. Sebastien Fauchet (UR) vs. Michael Puntillo (FOR) 4-6, 6-4, 4-1 DNF
5. Dylan Trent (UR) d. Jan Krouham (FOR) 6-4, 6-4
6. Justin Baker (UR) d. Max Peara (FOR) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 1, 2, 3, 5
Fauchet/Dunbar (UR) vs. Kowalski/Najfeld (FOR) 7-6 DNF
Peara/Tauil (FOR)d. Nahon/Feder (UR) 8-5
Alla/Puntillo (FOR) d. Baker/Trent (UR) 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3