LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Richmond men’s tennis team won four-straight singles matches to down the Liberty Flames, 5-2, at the Cook Tennis Center. The Spiders collected four-straight singles matches to secure the win.
Shortly after, the Dunbar Brothers, Richmond’s top duo, battled the No. 59-ranked Shea Thomas and Jorge Azuero, 8-7 (5), to give the Spiders the 1-0 lead.
Richmond kept the momentum as it won four-straight. Jacob Dunbar was the first to score as he ran by Egon Samaai, 6-2, 6-2, on court two. Alex Hahn was next as he recorded the 6-4, 6-4, victory over Stan Vaughan two courts down.
After facing the ranked opponents in doubles, Ethan Dunbar helped the Spiders go up 3-0 with a victory over Thomas at the top spot, while Canyon Teague secured the win for Richmond as he rallied for a 7-5, 6-4 victory on court five.
The Spiders will be back in action Friday, March 7 when it hosts conference foe Dayton at 2:30.
Richmond 5, Liberty 2
1. Jacob Dunbar/Ethan Dunbar (RICH) def. No. 59 Shea Thomas/Jorge Azuero (LU), 8-7 (5)
2. Dillon Segur/Egon Samaai (LU) def. Alex Hahn/Canyon Teague (RICH), 8-3
3. Jonathan Quenard/Dylan Trent (RICH) def. Stan Vaughan/Alejandro Llamas (LU), 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Ethan Dunbar (RICH) def. Shea Thomas (LU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Jacob Dunbar (RICH) def. Egon Samaai (LU), 6-2, 6-2
3. Jorge Azuero (LU) def. Dylan Trent (RICH), 7-5, 4-6, 5-1 (won on a code violation)
4. Alex Hahn (RICH) def. Stan Vaughan (LU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Canyon Teague (RICH) def. Alejandro Llamas (LU), 7-5, 6-4
6.) Dillon Segur (LU) def. Noah Fenton (RICH), 6-4, 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 4, 1, 5, 3, 6