ANNAPOLIS, Md. – The Richmond men’s tennis team rallied from behind to clinch a 5-2 win over the Navy Midshipmen Sunday afternoon for its second-straight victory.
The Spiders found themselves behind early after Navy registered two-consecutive points, winning the doubles portion and the first single match. But Richmond held on strong and recorded the remaining five singles matches.
Jonathan Quenard started things off for the Spiders and easily recorded a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Tyler Tossavainen on court five. Then on court three, Alex Hahn tied the match at two with a 1-6, 6-2, 6-2 win over Blake Daniel.
Richmond took the lead thanks to Jacob Dunbar’s 4-6, 7-5, 6-0 victory over Calvin Mark at the No. 2 spot. Noah Fenton and Canyon Teague recorded the final two points on courts six and four, respectively, to clinch the victory.
The Spiders will return to the court Saturday, March 29 when they host conference foe Saint Joseph’s following the women’s match at 10 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Richmond vs Navy
Mar 23, 2014 at Annapolis, Md.
(Tose Family Tennis Center)
Richmond 5, Navy 2
1. Jones, Austin (NAVY) def. Dunbar, Ethan (RICH) 6-4, 6-2
2. Dunbar, Jacob (RICH) def. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) 4-6, 7-5, 6-0
3. Hahn, Alex (RICH) def. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) 1-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Teague, Canyon (RICH) def. Jana, Krishna (NAVY) 6-7 (5-7), 6-1, 6-4
5. Quenard, Jonathan (RICH) def. Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY) 6-2, 6-2
6. Fenton, Noah (RICH) def. Gaines, Alex (NAVY) 6-7 (6-8), 6-3, 6-1
1. Dunbar, Ethan/Dunbar, Jacob (RICH) def. Jones, Austin/Tossavainen, Tyler (NAVY) 8-5
2. Daniel, Blake/Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Hahn, Alex/Teague, Canyon (RICH) 8-2
3. Gaines, Alex/Jana, Krishna (NAVY) def. Fenton, Noah/Quenard, Jonathan (RICH) 8-7 (7-5)
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,5,3,2,6,4)