CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The Richmond men’s tennis team defeated George Mason, 4-1, Friday to advance to the semifinals of the 2014 Atlantic 10 Men’s Tennis Championship.
“It was really important to get that first win especially coming into conference with a young team,” commented redshirt-junior Ethan Dunbar. “Only two of us have been here before, so it was important to get off to a good start and all the freshmen performed really well. A 4-1 win with George Mason is great – we had a really tough match with them a few weeks ago.”
Freshman Jonathan Quenard clinched the victory for the Spiders with a 6-2, 7-5 win at the No. 6 spot.
Richmond got out to a fast start as it recorded the 1-0 lead following doubles play. Top duo of Ethan Dunbar and freshman Jacob Dunbar clinched the early point after sophomore Dylan Trent and Quenard took a victory on court three.
“It was a great team effort today,” commented Richmond head coach Ben Johnson. “The doubles point became very critical and Dylan and Jon really stepped up taking the victory on court three. It was really nice to see everyone really play well.”
Up 1-0, Ethan Dunbar quickly made it a two-point match with a 6-2, 6-0 victory on court one. After George Mason secured the match on court three, Jacob Dunbar recorded his 22nd-straight victory on court two to give Richmond the 3-1 lead, before Quenard helped the Spiders to the win.
“Towards the end we were all fighting and Jon took huge points there at the end to get the win. I was really happy with the way we played today. Every time we step out on the court we just strive to get a little bit better. We have made huge improvements and I clearly believe on a maturity standpoint we have come a long way and I am happy were we are at.”
Richmond will face top-seeded George Washington tomorrow, April 19 at 10 a.m. at the Boar’s Head Sports Club in the semifinal match of the 2014 A-10 Championship.
2014 ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE MEN’S TENNIS CHAMPIONSHIP
BOAR’S HEAD SPORTS CLUB | CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA
RESULTS - FRIDAY, APRIL 18, 2014
#4 RICHMOND 4, #5 GEORGE MASON 1
1. Ethan Dunbar (UR) def. Jimmy Davis (GMU) 6-2, 6-0
2. Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Joe Hill (GMU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Jimmy Lange (GMU) def. Dylan Trent (UR) 6-3, 6-0
4. Alex Hahn (UR) vs. Aaron Capitel (GMU) 6-4, 2-6, 3-3, DNF
5. Tanner Baine (GMU) vs. Canyon Teague (UR) 6-2, 3-6, 2-2, DNF
6. Jonathan Quenard (UR) def. Taylor Sargent (GMU) 6-2, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 6
1. Ethan Dunbar/Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Jimmy Lange/Joe Hill (GMU) 8-4
2. Taylor Sargent/Taylor Baine (GMU) def. Alex Hahn/Canyon Teague (UR) 8-2
3. Dylan Trent/Jonathan Quenard (UR) def. Jimmy Davis/Chris Borden (GMU) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3