MASON, OHIO – The Richmond women’s tennis team easily defeated the La Salle Explorers, 4-0, in the opening round of the 2014 Atlantic 10 Championship Thursday morning at the Lindner Family Tennis Center.
“We were the higher seed and played like we should have played today,” commented Richmond head coach Mark Wesselink. “We won the match fairly comfortably, but we know that the next match is going to be tougher and we need to raise our games. I was very proud that the team kept their focus today and was able to play some of their best tennis.”
Looking for just one doubles match, the Spiders quickly got ahead 1-0 with a win from freshman Brittany Boys and sophomore Katya Salas on court two. The two teams only scheduled two doubles matches as La Salle had a limited roster.
With no No. 6 match being played, Richmond was given another free point as the two teams began singles competition with a 2-0 Spider lead.
Junior Melissa Kandinata and Salas recorded the singles victories for Richmond to capture the win. Kandinata downed the Explorers’ fourth player, 6-0, 6-0, while Salas followed in the same fashion on court five.
The Spiders will return to the courts tomorrow, April 25 to face No. 5-seeded UMass at 10 a.m.
2014 Atlantic 10 Conference Women’s Tennis Championship
Match 1 – Thursday, April 24 -- 9:00 AM
#4 Richmond def. #13 La Salle, 4-0
1. Anna Abadias Morales (UR) vs. Caitlin Coelho (LAS), 6-0, 1-0 DNF
2. Brittany Boys (UR) vs. Celesta Smith (LAS), 6-0, 2-0 DNF
3. Elizabeth Sims (UR) vs. Chloe Trave (LAS), 6-1 DNF
4. Melissa Kandinata (UR) d. Madison Gillen (LAS), 6-0, 6-0
5. Katya Salas (UR) d. Ceclie Johnson (LAS), 6-0, 6-0
6. Kelsey Williams (UR) win by default
Order of finish: #6 (default), #4, #5
1. Abadias Morales/Kandinata (UR) vs. Coelho/Trave (LAS), 5-0 DNF
2. Boys/Salas (UR) d. Gillen/Johnson (LAS), 8-0
3. Sims/Denny Lamachia (UR) win by default
Order of finish: #3 (default), #2