CINCINNATI, OHIO – After being delayed four hours because of rain, the Richmond women’s tennis team was edged by the UMass Minutewomen, 4-1, Friday afternoon at the Queen City Racket Club in the quarterfinals of the 2014 Atlantic 10 Championship.
“I was proud of the way we competed today,” commented Richmond head coach Mark Wesselink. “I thought we played at a pretty high level but UMass deserves all the credit. They played really well today. We have some things to work on to get better next year if we want to get back to the top of the A-10. And I think the players will be motivated from this loss to work hard over the summer.”
The two teams played head to head the entire day. Richmond, the No. 4 seed of the championship, fell behind 1-0 to No. 5 UMass after the Minutewomen secured the first portion with wins on court three and one, respectively.
Junior Melissa Kandinata tallied the Spiders lone point in singles play. The junior easily defeated Arielle Griffin, 6-3, 6-2, on court four for Richmond.
“I was proud of the way Melissa came around,” added Wesselink. “She had a tough start to her year and was really struggling for a while. She got our only win today and she has been playing really well lately. We are glad to get her back on track, because she is one of our stars and is playing well.”
The Spiders finished the season with a 9-12 spring record and a 2-2 mark in the A-10 after advancing to the quarterfinals with a convincing win over the No. 13-seed La Salle Explorers.
“We are hoping that we can get healthy next year and I think if everybody is healthy and working hard that we can get the A-10 Championship back again,” closed Wesselink.
2014 Atlantic 10 Conference Women’s Tennis Championship
Match 7 – Friday, April 25 – 2:00 pm
#5 Massachusetts def. #4 Richmond, 4-1
1. Anna Abadias Morales (UR) vs. Yuliana Motyl (UM), 6-2, 4-3 DNF
2. Sonia Bokhari (UM) def. Brittany Boys (UR) 6-1, 6-1
3. Aarzoo Malik (UM) def. Elizabeth Sims (UR) 6-1, 6-2
4. Melissa Kandinata (UR) def. Arielle Griffin (UM), 6-3, 6-2
5. Anna Woosley (UM) def. Katya Salas (UR), 6-2, 6-0
6. Kelsey Williams (UR) vs. Podlofski (UM), 6-1, 4-2 DNF
Order of finish: #2, #4, #5, #3
1. Bokhari/Chanel Glasper (UM) def. Abadias/Kandinatta (UR), 8-6
2. Boys/Salas (UR) vs. Malik/Griffin (UM), 7-7 DNF
3. Motyl/Woosley (UM) def. Sims/Denny Lamachia (UR, 8-4
Order of finish: #3, #1