ANNAPOLIS, Md. – Prior to the start of the spring season, many around the University of Richmond men’s tennis program knew that it could be a special season.
That thought is now the truth as the Spiders reeled off back-to-back sweeps of Navy (4-0) and Morgan State (4-0) on Saturday to improve to 9-2, the best start ever in program history. Richmond has now won eight straight matches, the longest winning streak in program history.
Senior Jacob Dunbar picked up sweeps at the top spot in the singles lineup in both matches to push his career total to 93, just seven away from becoming the first-ever Spider to reach 100 career victories. He was also 2-0 in doubles action as well.
“Our hard work continues to pay off,” Head Coach Ben Johnson said. “The guys keep fighting and are hungry for more and more no matter the success. We are locked in on getting the work done to prepare for Binghamton next weekend.”
Richmond’s day started against the Midshipmen with a sweep of the doubles point, followed by straight set wins by Dunbar, classmate Alexandre Felisa and junior Caleb Troy.
The Spiders concluded their day with a sweep of Morgan State thanks to another doubles sweep and singles victories from Dunbar, James Aronson and freshman Matthew Fernandez.
Richmond opens its 2017 home slate next Sunday, March 5 when they host Binghamton. First serve is set for 12 p.m.
Richmond 4, Navy 0
1) Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Pilones (Navy), 6-0, 6-2
2) Alexandre Felisa (UR) def. Pelor (Navy), 6-1, 6-2
3) Caleb Troy (UR) def. Jennings (Navy), 6-2, 6-3
4) John Karlawish (UR) vs. Durham (Navy), 6-3, 4-5
5) Canyon Teague (UR) vs. Sims (Navy), 6-4, 4-1
6) James Aronson (UR) vs. Hicks (Navy), DNF
1) Dunbar/Felisa (UR) def. Jennings/Pilones (Navy), 6-4
2) Quenard/Troy (UR) def. Pelor/Durham (Navy), 6-3
3) Karlawish/Aronson (UR) def. Landwehr/Kirkpatrick (Navy), 6-2
Richmond 4, Morgan State 0
1) Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Jeremy Field (MSU), 6-3, 6-3
2) Caleb Troy (UR) vs. Arjun Ramakrishnan (MSU), 6-3, 2-6, 2-1
3) Canyon Teague (UR) vs. Ondreji Labik (MSU), 6-4, 2-5
4) James Aronson (UR) def. Nihi Rawal (MSU), 6-3, 6-1
5) Jonathan Quenard (UR) vs. Lucas Krusinski (MSU), 3-6, 6-1, 2-0
6) Matthew Fernandez (UR) def. Sagar Sathyanarayanan (MSU), 6-0, 7-5
1) Troy/Quenard (UR) def. Field/Krusinski (MSU), 7-6
2) Dunbar/Teague (UR) def. Labik/Sathyanarayanan (MSU), 6-3
3) Karlawish/Aronson (UR) def. Ramakrishnan/Rawal (MSU), 6-0