CHARLESTON, S.C. – It may have been spring break, but that didn’t slow down the University of Richmond men’s tennis team.
The Spiders rolled dominated the College of Charleston, 4-0, to extend their winning streak to 10 and improve their program-best start to 11-2.
“Our guys continue to a great job and today was no exception. Today was a great win and they all competed really well,” Head Coach Ben Johnson said. “It was a really tough, windy environment, so it helps prepare us for our future outdoor matches and conference tournament.”
Like they have been doing for the past month, the Spiders set the tone in doubles.
Junior James Aronson and redshirt freshman John Karlawish made quick work at the third doubles spot, 6-0. CofC got a point back at the top doubles spot, but senior Jonathan Quenard and junior Caleb Troy wrapped up the doubles point with a 6-4 win at #2 doubles to make it 1-0 Richmond.
Karlawish continued his strong debut season with a 6-1, 6-3 win at #4 singles and senior Jacob Dunbar got career win #94 with a 6-3, 6-3 defeat of CofC’s Juan Estevarena at the top singles spot.
Aronson locked up the match for the Spiders with a hard-fought 7-6(2), 7-5 win at the sixth position.
“I give James a lot of credit. He was down a break in both sets and played some big points well to clinch the match,” Johnson said.
Richmond is back in action on Saturday when it takes on The Citadel in a double header at 9 a.m. and 2 p.m.
Richmond 4, CofC 0
1. Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Juan Estevarena (CofC), 6-3, 6-3
2. Benedikt Henning (CofC) vs. Alexandre Felisa (UR), 7-5, 4-1 (Unf.)
3. Vasily Kichigin (CofC) vs. Caleb Troy (UR), 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (Unf.)
4. John Karlawish (UR) def. Rodrigo Encinas (CofC), 6-1, 6-3
5. Ryan Khan (CofC) vs. Canyon Teague (UR), 3-6, 4-5 (Unf.)
6. James Aronson (UR) def. Fernando Ramirez Lascurian (CofC), 7-6(2), 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 6
1. Estevarena/Kichigin (CofC) def. No. 61 Dunbar/Felisa (UofR), 6-1
2. Quenard/Troy (UofR) def. Henning/Angradi (CofC), 6-4
3. Aronson/Karlawish (UofR) def. Kusmider/Kusmider (CofC) 6-0
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2