UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – The University of Richmond women’s tennis team was riding a three-match win streak entering today’s match, but the Spiders could not overcome visiting Duquesne, falling 4-3.
The Spiders started the match strong in doubles play, winning the opening point with wins on courts 2 and 3. Gaby Rosales and Dessislava Zlateva took down their opponents at No. 2, 6-4, while Lea Owens and Kelsey Williams did the same at No. 3 by the same score.
Singles play was evenly matched, with four of the six matches going into a decisive third set. Owens and Kiana Marshall both posted wins for the Spiders, but the Dukes were able to pull off the win with four singles wins, including three in three sets.
Owens was able to easily take down Megan Wasson, 6-3, 6-1 at No. 3, while Marshall defeated Ally Miller on court 4, 6-3, 5-7, 6-3.
The Spiders return to action on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m. when they host George Washington at the Westhampton Courts. Prior to Saturday’s match, the Spiders will celebrate the careers of the team’s two seniors, Brittany Boys and Kelsey Williams.
Duquesne 4, Richmond 3
1) Kylie Isaacs (DUQ) def. Dessi Zlateva (UR) – 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
2) Julianne Herman (DUQ) def. Gaby Rosales (UR) – 6-4, 6-2
3) Lea Owens (UR) def. Megan Wasson (DUQ) – 6-3, 6-1
4) Kiana Marshall (UR) def. Ally Miller (DUQ) – 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
5) Aishwarya Kona (DUQ) def. Kelsey Williams (UR) – 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
6) Laurel Shymansky (DUQ) def. Lyndell Giffenig (UR) – 6-2, 4-6, 7-5
1) Kylie Isaacs/Julianne Herman (DUQ) def. Kiana Marshall/Lyndell Giffenig (UR) – 6-3
2) Gaby Rosales/Dessi Zlateva (UR) def. Ally Miller/Zuzanna Stelmaszak (DUQ) – 6-4
3) Lea Owens/Kelsey Williams (UR) def. Megan Wasson/Laurel Shymansky (DUQ) – 6-4