UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – The University of Richmond women’s tennis team had a lot to celebrate today.
The team honored seniors Kelsey Williams and Brittany Boys after today’s A-10 match against George Washington, but made sure to take care of business beforehand, defeating the Colonials in dramatic fashion, 4-2, on Saturday afternoon.
“I'm proud of our resilience and fight,” head coach Mark Wesselink said after the match. “We took a close, tough loss yesterday and played some of our best tennis on Senior Day.”
The Spiders continue to dominate in doubles play, and this match was no different, as the No. 1 and 3 pairs decisively won the point.
Lea Owens and Williams took down their opponents on court 3, 6-1, before Kiana Marshall and Lyndell Giffenig clinched the point with a 6-3 win on court 1.
“We played some of our best doubles today,” Wesselink said. “Kiana and Lyndell were so sharp under pressure.”
In singles play, Dessislava Zlateva and Owens took care of business on courts 1 and 2, respectively. Zlateva took down George Washington’s Maria Siopacha, 7-5, 6-3, and Owens defeated Marie-Louise Decamps, 6-3, 6-4, to give the Spiders the edge.
The Colonials also won two singles matches to make it 3-2 in favor of Richmond, but junior Gaby Rosales took control, taking down Melis Bayraktaroglu on court 3, 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (4).
“Dessi fought hard for her win at No. 1, and Lea stepped up at No. 2 for a key win, but Gaby's clinching win after saving four match points was just amazing,” Wesselink said.
The Spiders return to action next Saturday, when they travel to Davidson, N.C., to take on the Wildcats. First serve is set for 11 a.m.
Richmond 4. George Washington 2
1) Dessi Zlateva (UR) def. Maria Siopacha (GW) – 7-5, 6-3
2) Lea Owens (UR) def. Marie-Louise Decamps (GW) – 6-3, 6-4
3) Gaby Rosales (UR) def. Melis Bayraktaroglu (GW) – 6-2, 1-6, 7-6 (4)
4) Kiana Marshall (UR) vs. Sara Grubac (GW) – 6-0, 5-7, 4-3 (DNF)
5) Taylor Nederlander (GW) def. Kelsey Williams (UR) – 6-2, 6-4
6) Kamilla Beisenova (GW) def. Lyndell Giffenig (UR) – 7-6 (7), 7-5
1) Marshall/Giffenig (UR) def. Nederlander/Decamps (GW) – 6-3
2) Zlateva/Rosales (UR) vs. Siopacha/ Bayraktaroglu – 5-2 (DNF)
3) Owens/Williams (UR) def. Kogan/Beisenova (GW) – 6-1