UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – Nine times this spring, the University of Richmond men’s tennis took to its home courts. All nine times, the Spiders came away victorious.
That perfect home season was capped off on Tuesday when Richmond defeated in-state foe James Madison, 4-0, for its 22nd straight win. The Spiders last lost on January 21st, nearly three months ago.
“Our guys are tired, we’ve pushed them down the home stretch, but yet again, these guys were able to focus in enough and do what they needed to in order to get the win,” Head Coach Ben Johnson said.
The Spiders fought their way to their 23rd doubles point of the year to grab momentum early. After the two teams split the matches at #2 and #3, seniors Alexandre Felisa and Jacob Dunbar battled their way to a 7-6 (7) win to secure the doubles point.
Felisa kept momentum with him in singles, making quick work of JMU’s Sebastian Salinas at #2, 6-1, 6-0, while redshirt freshman John Karlawish followed close behind with a 6-1, 6-1 win at #4 to give Richmond a 3-0 advantage.
Dunbar wrapped up the match with his 18th straight singles victory of the spring, winning 7-5, 6-3 at the top spot.
Richmond wraps up its regular season next Tuesday when they travel to Charlottesville to take on #3 Virginia. First serve is set for 6:30 p.m.
Richmond 4, JMU 0
1. #122 Jacob Dunbar (UR) def. Damon Roberts (JMU), 7-5, 6-3
2. Alexandre Felisa (UR) def. Sebastian Salinas (JMU), 6-1, 6-0
3. Caleb Troy (UR) vs. Paul Mendoza (JMU), 7-6, 1-3 DNF
4. John Karlawish (UR) def. Theophile Lanthiez (JMU), 6-1, 6-1
5. Canyon Teague (UR) vs. Brett Moorhead (JMU), 6-3, 4-1 DNF
6. James Aronson (UR) vs. Tate Steinour (JMU), 6-2, 5-5 DNF
1. Felisa/Dunbar (UR) def. Lanthiez/Mendoza (JMU), 7-6 (7)
2. Salinas/Roberts (JMU) def. Troy/Quenard (UR), 6-2
3. Aronson/Karlawish (UR) def. Ruzic/Moorhead (JMU), 6-3