Postgame Notes: Virginia 43, Richmond 19
- Richmond dropped its season-opener for just the second time in five years.
- Saturday's game marked the first at Richmond for new head coach Danny Rocco.
- Virginia now leads the all-time series with the Spiders 27-2-2.
- Nick Hicks' 65-yard punt tied his career long, with the redshirt senior also setting career-highs with eight punts for 345 yards.
- FB Kendall Gaskins' second-quarter 3-yard score was just the second receiving TD of his career.
- Gaskins' is now tied for sixth place in the program annals with 23 career touchdowns.
- QB John Laub made his fourth career start on Saturday and is now 2-2 in those games.
- Laub's 4-yard third-quarter touchdown pass to FB Seth Fisher marked the second-career passing TD for the redshirt senior. The score was part of a 6-of-6 effort for Laub in the nine-play scoring drive.
- Laub set new career-bests with 17 completions, 35 attempts and 178 passing yards.
- QB Michael Strauss' 3-yard pass to Gaskins marked the sophomore transfer's first career pass and touchdown pass.
- Strauss finished the game 7-of-8 for 60 yards and a TD.
- DB Aaron Roane recorded 12 tackles to set a career-high and equaled his career-best with 1.0 tackles for loss.
- DB Reggie Barnette recorded his first-career tackles for loss with two and came up just two tackles short of his career-best 14 tackles.
- LB Eric Wright also established a new career-high with nine tackles, while DB Doug Howell followed suit with eight stops on the day.
- LB Darius McMillan ended the game with 10 tackles.
- Fisher's touchdown catch represented just his second-career reception, with his first coming on a 2-yard catch the play before.