Despite the rain delay that resulted in the postponement of Friday's match against Morgan State, the Spiders picked up two convincing wins. The Men's Tennis team came out in full force this weekend, shutting out St. Joseph's, 7-0, on Saturday and Hampton University, 5-0, on Sunday.
Richmond earned their first Atlantic 10 win of the season against St. Joseph's on Saturday.
Sebastien Fauchet and Jesse Feder fought hard to defeat their opponents 9-7 in the No. 1 Doubles position. Ethan Dunbar and Paul Nahon III clinched the doubles point with an 8-5 win.
The Spiders continued the rally against the Hawks in singles play, earning all six points. Redshirt-Freshman Ethan Dunbar defeated Alex Veronis, 6-1, 6-4 in No. 1 Singles. Junior Sebastien Fauchet then picked up a pair of 6-1 victories over his opponent. The momentum continued as junior Jesse Feder earned a convincing win of 6-1, 6-0 over Erik Tunberg. In the No. 4 Singles position, junior Aaron Wicker downed Dan Barrus, 6-4, 6-0. Freshman Dylan Trent secured another point for the Spiders with a victory over Pierre Brondeau 6-4, 2-6, (10-4). The rally was completed by freshman Paul Nahon III who defeated Max Montague 6-2, 6-1.
"It was good to get our first conference win of the year," says Head Coach Ben Johnson.
Richmond continued weekend play on Sunday at Hampton University. Inclement weather forced the match indoors. Additional time constraints caused the Spiders to bypass the doubles matches and begin with singles play.
The Spiders continued the momentum from the previous day as they shutout the Pirates, 5-0.
Sebastien Fauchet earned a point for Richmond with a 6-3, 6-2 victory in the No. 1 Singles position. Ethan Dunbar downed his opponent 6-1, 6-3 while Jesse Feder and Aaron Wicker both defeated their opponents with a pair of 6-0 victories. Dylan Trent completed the match by defeating Andrew Williams 6-0, 6-1.
The Spiders enter spring break with an overall record of 7-6. Richmond will resume play on March 18 at UNC-Charlotte.
Richmond 7, St. Joseph's 0
1. Ethan Dunbar (UR) def. Alex Veronis (St. J) 6-1, 6-4
2. Sebastien Fauchet (UR) def. Jeff Kessler (St. J) 6-1, 6-1
3. Jesse Feder (UR) def. Erik Tunberg (St. J) 6-1, 6-0
4. Aaron Wicker (UR) def. Dan Barrus (St. J) 6-4, 6-0
5. Dylan Trent (UR) def. Pierre Brondeau (St. J) 6-4, 2-6, (10-4)
6. Paul Nahon III (UR) def. Max Montague (St. J) 6-2, 6-1
1. Fauchet/Feder (UR) def. Monatgue/Kessler (St. J) 9-7
2. Barrus/Gates (St. J) def. Wicker/Trent (UR) 8-4
3. Dunbar/ Nahon III (UR) def. Cognetti/Veronis (St. J) 8-5
Richmond 5, Hampton 0
1. Sebastien Fauchet (UR) def. Alvin Fludd (HU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Ethan Dunbar (UR) def. Advait Kirtane (HU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Jesse Feder (UR) def. A Lacksman (HU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Aaron Wicker (UR) def. Isiah Steward (HU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Dylan Trent (UR) def. Andrew Williams (HU) 6-0, 6-1