The University of Richmond defeated Longwood University in an uncontested match on Saturday with a score of 7-0.
The Spiders started out strong to win the doubles point, sweeping all three matches.
Richmond continued the attack as freshman Melissa Kandinata defeated the Lancer's Marta Pinyol in a straight set of 6-3 and 6-4. "I thought freshman Melissa Kandinata did a nice job of finishing in her first match at Number 1," says Coach Mark Wesselink.
Senior Joanna Matuszczyk and sophomore Elizabeth Sims continued the rally, both defeating their opponent 6-0 and 6-1. "Joanna and Elizabeth were crushingly good," says Coach Wesselink. "Their mental games are so strong."
Junior Alexandra Smith downed her opponent 7-5, 6-3 while freshman Nil Horoz overcame the Lancer's Hannah Hill, 6-2, 6-0. The shutout was completed by junior Mariana Arana with results of 6-4, 3-6, and 10-4.
The Spiders are now 3-1. They will return to action on February 24 against Davidson College.
Richmond 7, Longwood 0
1. Kandinata/ Matuszczyk (UR) def. Shulman/Allgurin (LU), 8-3
2. Smyth/Sims (UR) def. Moomau/Pinyol (LU), 8-4
3. Arana/Hartmeyer (UR) def. Parker/Hill (LU), 8-5
1. Melissa Kandinata (UR) def. Marta Pinyol (LU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Joanna Matuszczyk (UR) def. Malin Allgurin (LU), 6-1, 6-0
3. Elizabeth Sims (UR) def. Allison Shulman (LU), 6-0, 6-1
4. Alexandra Smyth def. Sarah Moomau (LU), 7-5, 6-3
5. Nil Horoz (UR) def. Hannah Hill (LU), 6-2, 6-0
6. Mariana Arana (UR) def. Nicole Parker (LU), 6-4, 3-6, 10-4