Richmond advances to a record of 4-1 with a 4-2 win over Davidson College on Friday.
Although the Spiders dropped the doubles point, they quickly regained momentum to gain 4 singles wins to clench the victory.
Senior Joanna Matuszczyk defeated Davidson's Stephani Synn with a pair of 6-2 victories. Continuing the rally was freshman Melissa Kandinata who defeated her opponent in a straight set of 6-0, 6-2. Junior Alexandra Smyth picked up the point to put the Spiders ahead with victories of 6-1, 6-2. Sophomore Elizabeth Sims earned her fifth consecutive win of the season by defeating her opponent 6-1, 7-6.
The Spiders continue their tour at Davidson, N.C. against UNC-Greensboro on Saturday at 11:30 a.m.
Richmond 4, Davidson 2
1. Cunningham/ Smyth (UR) def. Synn/Crouser (DC) 8-6
2. Dicconson/ Moniz-Soares (DC) def. Matuszczyk/Kandinata (UR) 9-7
3. Wood/Bschorer (DC) def. Sims/Arana (UR) 8-1
1. Matuszczyk (UR) def. Synn (DC) 6-2, 6-2
2. Moniz-Soares (DC) def. Cunningham (UR) 7-5, 6-4
3. Kandinata (UR) def. Crouser (DC) 6-0, 6-2
4. Smyth (UR) def. Dicconson (DC) 6-1, 6-3
5. Sims (UR) def. Wood (DC) 6-1, 7-6
6. Held (DC) vs. Arana (UR) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished