Richmond Women's Tennis Team returns from Spring Break with a 5-2 victory over George Washington.
The Spiders quickly clinched the doubles point, claiming all three matches. Helen Cunningham and Alexandra Smyth defeated Zoe Krohn and Mimi Hamling 8-3. Melissa Kandinata and Elizabeth Sims picked up an 8-5 victory while Joanna Matuszczyk and Nil Horoz earned an 8-5 decision to complete the sweep.
In singles play, senior Joanna Matuszczyk earned a point in No. 1 singles by defeating Jacqueline Corba, 7-5, 6-2. Freshman Melissa Kandinata advanced her singles record to 7-2 with a victory over Leah Pascarella, 4-6, 6-3, and 6-1. Senior Helen Cunningham defeated the Colonial's Mimi Hamling, 7-5, 6-2 to continue the Spider's rally. Sophomore Elizabeth Sims remains undefeated in singles play after defeating her opponent 6-0, 6-1.
"We were so excited to get a decisive win today over a solid conference team," says Elizabeth Sims. "Initially it looked like it was going to be a close match, but all the girls really stepped it up and pulled out the win. This win, along with our 7-2 record, continues to boost our confidence, which is crucial in the upcoming matches."
The Spiders return to action on March 21 at Georgetown.
Richmond 5, George Washington 2
1) Cunningham/Smyth (UR) def. Krohn/Hamling (GW) 8-3
2) Kandinata/Sims (UR) def. Escobar/Pascarella (GW) 8-5
3) Matuszczyk/Horoz (UR) def. Corba/Tyner (GW) 8-5
1) Joanna Matuszczyk (UR) def. Jacqueline Corba (GW) 7-5, 6-2
2) Melissa Kandinata (UR) def. Leah Pascarella (GW) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
3) Helen Cunningham (UR) def. Mimi Hamling (GW) 7-5, 6-2
4) Elizabeth Sims (UR) def. Julia Blakeley (GW) 6-0, 6-1
5) Isabella Escobar (GW) def. Alexandra Smyth (UR) 4-6, 3-6
6) Meg Tyner (GW) def. Nil Horoz (UR) 5-7, 6-4, 8-10