NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. -- After a busy weekend in Philadelphia, the Spiders return to action in their final preparation before the Atlantic 10 Championship. Richmond is set to face Rutgers on Saturday morning with action getting underway at 10:00 a.m.
|VENUE||RU Aquatic Center|
SPIDER QUICK HITS
- Last Friday at Villanova, the Spiders collected four wins with Annie Lane and Erin Barry each won events while Irina Chiulli won both diving events.
- Against Atlantic 10 foes La Salle and Fordham on Saturday, the Spider youth shined. Freshmen Virginia Marsh and Hannah Gouger each won a pair of races while sophomore Morgan Soulia won two events. Junior Erin Barry also collected a win in Saturday action.
- Marsh was named the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week following her performance last weekend. She joined Gouger, who won the award earlier in the season.
- Chiulli has already hit NCAA Zone Qualifying marks in both the 1M and 3M and she has been named the Atlantic 10 Performer of the Week twice this season. She has earned A-10 weekly honors seven times during here career.
- For the ninth consecutive year, the Spiders earned a Scholar All-America Team distinction. For the fall semester, Richmond posted a cumulative team GPA of 3.25.
SPIDERS WELL REPRESENTED AT U.S. OLYMPIC TRIALS
At the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials in Omaha back in June, the Spiders were well represented. Junior Erin Barry, freshman Hannah Gouger and alum Lauren Hines all competed against the sports elite. This was the fourth consecutive Olympic Trials that Richmond was represented in the water, and it was the second time for Hines. Both Hines and Gouger competed in the 100m backstroke while Barry competed in the 200m breaststroke. Read Hines' journey back to the Olympic Trials here.
Even with returning a core group from the 2016 A-10 Championship team, the Spiders welcomed a total of six new freshmen, including two divers to the roster for the 2016-17 season. Head coach Matt Barany also announced the addition of Staci Schrecognost to his staff. Schrecognost joins the Spiders from Edinboro University where she was a standout swimmer earning All-American honors.
Richmond will be be back in action at Atlantic 10 Championship where the Spiders look to bring home their 15th conference title. The Championship begins on February 15 and will conclude on February 18.